Bar Code Registration
Have you ever wondered how your local supermarket manages to keep track of thousands of products with so much ease? The answer lies in the use of barcodes. Barcodes are an incredibly efficient way of encoding product information, such as product numbers, serial numbers, and batch numbers instantly. But did you know that barcode registration is necessary to ensure the proper identification of products in the supply chain? In this blog post, we will delve into the world of barcodes and explore the process of barcode registration in India. So, let’s get started!
Definition of barcodes :
Barcodes have become an integral part of our daily lives, with their presence visible in almost every marketplace and retail store. They are linear bar symbols made up of vertical bars and spaces that can be read by machines. These symbols are used to identify products and track inventory in a fast and efficient manner. The most common type of barcode used across the globe is the EAN-13 barcode, containing 13 numeric digits. Another popular type of barcode is the UPC-A barcode, with 12 digits commonly used in the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, Australia, and New Zealand. DataBar barcodes are common for fresh food items and contain additional details such as the product’s weight, batch number, and expiry date.
Barcodes are used to encode product-related information such as serial numbers, production dates, and prices, which are then scanned by a barcode scanner or a smartphone app. They helpthe in the easy identification of products for manufacturers, wholesalers, and retailers, leading to convenient tracking of sales, inventory, and supply chain management. The barcode registration process in India is an easy and efficient online procedure managed by GS1 India. Businesses can easily apply for barcode registration and get allocated a specific barcode, helping them in the smooth functioning of their supply chain operations and improving their business prospects.
Importance of barcode registration in India :
Barcode registration has become increasingly important for businesses in India due to the numerous benefits it offers. The use of barcodes enables businesses to easily manage their inventory, reduce errors in data entry, and provide detailed product information. With the rise of e-commerce in recent years, barcodes have become even more critical in tracking and identifying producMarketplacesaces such as Amazon and Flipkart require barcotor to list products on their platforms.
GS1 India is the authority for barcode registration in India and the process can be completed online. It is important to provide all the necessary documents, including the certificate of incorporation and memorandum of association/articles of association, while also choosing the appropriate type and number of barcodes required. The fees for barcode registration vary depending on factors such as the number of products and the number of locations.
In addition to the benefits of barcode registration mentioned above, having international barcode registration through GS1 also allows businesses to expand globally and make their products easily recognizable across different countries. Another advantage of GS1 barcodes is that they provide a unique product identification numthathich can be used for data analytics, allowing businesses to gain insights and improve their operations. While it may be possible to launch a product without a barcode, it is highly recommended for entrepreneurs and businesses to have GTINs in pltor to save costs and improve key business factors such as quality and on-time performance.
II. Registering for GTINs/EAN
Steps for registering with GS1 India :
To register for barcodes in India, the authority is GS1 India. The process of obtaining barcode registration through GS1 India is completely online. Here are the steps for registration:
1. Fiout ll the application form on the GS1 India website.
2. Upload all relevant documents, such as your company’s certificate of incorporation/partnership deed and memorandum of association/articles of association.
3. Choose the type and number of barcodes required.
4. Confirm all details.
5. Pay the applicable fees.
6. Track the status of your application.
Before registering, it is important to note that the fees for barcode registration depend on factors such as the type and number of barcodes require ed, the annual turnover of the company, and the type of membership chosen. The fees range from around Rs. 44,000 to Rs. 2,20,000.
Registering for barcodes with GS1 India ensures that your barcodes are internationally recognized and accepted. This is important for businesses that deal with exports as it helps them comply with international standards. Registering also reduces errors, is cost-effective, and provides detailed information about your products.
In summary, if you’re a business operating in India that requires barcodes for tracking and inventory management, it is crucial to register with GS1 India to obtain legitimate and internationally recognized barcodes.
Required documents for Barcode registration :
To register for barcodes with GS1 India, one needs to provide certain documents. These documents include the certificate of incorporation or partnership deed, Memorandum of Association/Articles of Association, and balance sheetofs on 31st March. In addition to these, any other registration copy by the government can also be submitted. These documents help in verifying the authenticity of the applicant and the business.
Furthermore, the fees for barcode registration are dependent on the type of business, the number of barcodes required, and the duration for which they will be used. The fees vary from around Rs. 44,000 to Rs. 2,20,000. The registration process for barcodes is completely online and can be completed by filling out the application form on the GS1 India website. After filling out the form, relevant documents need to be uploaded, and the fee needs to be paid.
It is important to double-check all details before confirming the registration to avoid any errors. Barcode registration is essential for businesses dealing with a large number of products as it makes the identification of products easier and more accurate. By registering for barcodes, businesses can optimize their inventory management and track their product movement throughout the supply chain. It ensures the genuineness of the product and reduces errors, saving time and cost.
Important information to consider before registration ;
Before registering for barcodes, there are some important factors you need to consider. First, it is important to ensure that you are the brand owner before applying for barcode numbers since only brand owners are eligible to apply. If you are not the brand owner, you need to apply separately for each company/brand.
It is also crucial to take into consideration the total number of SKUs/product variants you have and what you’re likely to add in the next few years before applying. This is because the number of barcodes applied cannot be changed later. If you exhaust the barcode numbers allocated to your organization, you’ll need to go for a new registration for more barcodes.
In some instances, additional company documentation may be requibeforerthe for the allocation of GS1 barcodes. Additionally, the subscription should be renewed well before the expiry date for continued use of barcode numbers.
It’s worth noting that GS1 India does not appoint, promoimpanelanel any facilitator intermediaries or agents the for allocation of GS1 barcode numbers and its services. If any member of the general public deals with such unauthorized persons or with any claims to be an agent of GS1 India, they will be doing so entirely at their own risk and responsibilities. It is advisable to contact GS1 India offices directly the for allocation of GS1 barcode numbers to avoid any unwanted risks.
Overall, barcode registration in India is a straightforward process, and by considering these important factors before applying, businesses can ensure a smooth and hassle-free experience.
III. Obtaining barcode registration through Meerad
Explanation of EAN 13 and UPC barcodes :
When comes to barcodes, the most common types used in India are EAN-13 and UPC-A. EAN-13 is a 13-digit barcode, also known as the International Article Number. It is widely used in Europe, India, and other countries. On the other hand, UPC-A is a 12-digit barcode that is commonly used in the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, Australia, and New Zealand. Both barcodes have similar functionalities and are used to identify products quickly and accurately.
The main difference between EAN-13 and UPC-A is in their numbering system. EAN-13 is a superset of UPC-A and can be converted to a UPC-A code by adding a leading zero. Additionally, with EAN-13, the manufacturer and product codes can vary in length, whereas with UPC-A, the manufacturer code is fixed to five digits and the product code to five digits.
Both types of barcodes can be used to encode various types of data such as product model numbers, production dates, and prices. They are excellent tools for businesses looking to improve their inventory management processes, reduce errors, and save time. With the use of barcodes, product mobility is simplified, and businesses can easily track and trace the movement of goods in their supply chain.
In conclusion, EAN-13 and UPC-A barcodes are widely used in India and offer several advantages to businesses. They are simple to use, accurate, and cost-effective. By leveraging these barcodes, businesses of all sizes can streamline their operations, reduce errors, and improve overall efficiency.
Benefits of international barcode registration :
International registration has a plethora of benefits for businesses operating globally. Some of the most notable benefits include:
1. Global recognition: International barcode registration ensures that your products and services are recognized by all globally accredited organizations. This recognition facilitates the easy and smooth movement of products through customs and borders.
2. Compatibility: International barcode registration ensures that your products are compatible with all scanning devices across the globe. This ensures that your products can be sold in any market without any hassles.
3. Improved Efficiency: With international barcode registration, businesses can streamline their inventory and supply chain management processes. This makes it easier to track and manage product movements across different regions and locations.
4. Increased credibility: International barcode registration enhances the credibility of a business in the global market. It helps businesses gain the trust of their customers and partners, which in turn results in increased sales and revenue.
5. Competitive Advantage: International barcode registration provides businesses with a competitive edge in the global market. This is because registered barcodes are unique and cannot be replicated by competitors. This helps businesses stand out and gain a competitive advantage over their peers.
In summary, international barcode registration is an essential requirement for businesses looking to expand and operate in the global market. It provides businesses with several benefits that can help them increase efficiency, credibility and gain a competitive edge.
Comparison of free barcode generators and GS1 barcodes :
When it comes to barcode registration, businesses in India may be tempted to opt for a free barcode generator. However, it is important to understand the key differences between these generators and those offered by GS1 India. Here are some points to consider:
1. Accuracy: Free barcode generators may not always produce accurate barcodes, leading to errors in product identification and supply chain management. On the other hand, GS1 barcodes are standardized and have been tested for accuracy.
2. Compatibility: GS1 barcodes are universally recognized by retailers and manufacturers worldwide, allowing for seamless communication and supply chain management. Free barcode generators may produce barcodes that are not compatible with certain systems or retailers.
3. Security: GS1 barcodes are unique and encrypted, making it difficult for others to replicate or counterfeit them. Free barcode generators may produce generic barcodes that are easier to replicate and misuse.
4. Support: GS1 India provides support and resources for businesses seeking barcode registration, ensuring a smoother process. Free barcode generators may not offer the same level of support and may require businesses to troubleshoot issues on their own.
Overall, investing in GS1 barcode registration can benefit businesses in the long run by ensuring accurate identification and tracking, compatibility with global supply chains, security, and support.
Procedure for getting barcode registration through Meerad :
If are looking for a hassle-free way to get barcode registration in India, Meerad is an excellent solution. Meerad offers GST invoice payment and inventory software that can help you obtain GS1 barcodes to conform to global standards. Here are the steps to follow to obtain barcode registration through Meerad:
1. Fill out the GS1 India barcode registration form, including the product classification sheet, indicating the product category.
2. Submit a letter of request on the letterhead for the allocation of the GS1 company prefix number.
3. Provide a copy of the latest balance sheet, stating the company’s annual turnover.
4. After careful examination of the documents and information provided, Meerad’s team wapplytion for barcode registration.
5. Upon successful barcode registration, Meerad will providbarcodeodes a registration certificate along wa ith the GS1 barcode.
With Meerad, you can get barcode registration in India hassle-free. By adopting GS1 barcodes, your business can enjoy several benefits, including faster listing of products on e-commerce portals, enhanced SEO for online operations, and easier visibility of products online. With a GS1 barcode, your business can manage a vast global clientele by fulfilling several buyer requirements at the same time. Contact Instabill today to obtain barcode registration and take your business to the next level.
Documents required for barcode registration :
When for barcode registration in India with GS1 India, certain documents are required to be submitted along with the application. These documents are necessary to verify the authenticity of the business entity and to ascertain the previous year’s annual turnover of the business. The required documents for barcode registration include:
– Certificate of Incorporation/Partnership Deed: This document is required to establish the authenticity of the business entity.
– Memorandum of Association/Articles of Association: These documents detail the objectives and power of the company and are also used to verify the authenticity of the business entity.
– Cancelled Cheque: This is mandatory to verify bank account details.
– Previous Year’s Annual Turnover: This document is required to ascertain the previous year’s annual turnover of the business.
These documents must be uploaded along with the application on the GS1 India website. It is important to ensure that all the required documents are duly filled and submitted to avoid any delay in the registration process. Proper documentation helps to establish the genuineness of the business and ensures that the barcode registered is unique and exclusive to the business entity.
IV. Summary of the importance of barcode registration
In summary, barcode registration is an important aspect that businesses in India should consider for smooth and efficient operations. Here are the key takeaways from this article:
– Barcodes are machine-readable symbols that help in the easy identification of products and help in eliminating errors, saving time, and managing inventory.
– There are different types of barcodes such as EAN-13, UPC-A, and Databar barcodes, among others. Each barcode has a different purpose and is used in different countries.
– GS1 India is the authority for barcode registration in India, and the process is done completely online. Required documents for registration include ude certificate of incorporation/partnership deed, memorandum of association/articles of association.
– Barcode registration is cost-effective, convenient, and offers a detailed information database on products.
– Barcode registration helps in reducing errooptimizingsing inventory and easing the tracking of products from manufacture to sale.
Overall, barcode registration is a valuable asset for businesses that deal with a significant number of products. It is a simple process that offers numerous benefits such as cost-effectiveneoptimizedised inventory, and efficient tracking of products. By registering with GS1 India, businesses can reap the benefits of this global identification system and streamline their operations for better productivity.
Final thoughts and recommendations for businesses in India
In conclusion, barcode registration in India is highly important for businesses, especially for those looking to expand globally. Here are some final thoughts and recommendations for businesses in India:
– Barcode registration helps businesses to comply with global standards and ensures easy identification and tracking of goods across the supply chain.
– While free barcode generators may seem like an easy option, businesses should opt for GS1 barcodes as they are internationally recognized and provide seamless interoperability.
– It is essential to have all the necessary documents ready for the registration process, including the certificate of incorporation/partnership deed, memorandum of association/articles of association, and the latest balance sheet.
– Businesses should consider the fees involved in barcode registration and choose the number and type of barcodes required accordingly.
– Barcode registration is an investment that can benefit businesses in the long run by improving inventory management, reducing errors, and providing detailed product information.
– Instabill is a reliable option for businesses looking to obtain barcode registration efficiently and conveniently.
Barcode registration is a must for businesses in India looking to remain competitive in the global marketplace. It is a one-time investment that can have significant benefits for businesses across industries.
V. Documents required for Bar Code Registration in India
1. Business registration certificate, memorandum of association, and articles of association
2. PAN Card and ID proof of owner/partners/directors
3. GST registration certificate
4. Address proof of the business (Electricity bill, rental agreement, or ownership document)
5. Product details such as name, category, brand name, and manufacturer details.
6. Sample labels containing barcodes must be provided
7. Test reports for the product must be provided by a government-approved lab.
8. Authorization letter from the manufacturer if the product is being imported.
9. Letter of undertaking stating responsibility for inaccurate information provided.
VI. Advantages of Bar Code Registration in India
1. Accurate and Fast Processing of Sales Data – Barcodes make it easy for the retailer to scan and register sales, unlike the traditional method of manual implementation.
2. Better Inventory Management – Barcodes help in keeping a record of stock and replenishment, making it easy to maintain inventory levels consistently.
3. Reduces Labour Cost – Barcode eliminates the manual implementation of pricing and management of stock, lowering the labor cost for retailers.
4. Enhances Security and Authentication – Barcodes are unique, enabling authenticating vendors and authorized logistics partners to ensure the security, shipment, and delivery of the goods during transit.
VII. Disadvantages of Bar Code Registration in India
1. Costly Implementation Process – Barcode implementation requires significant investment in hardware such as barcode scanners, printers, and software.
2. Errors Caused by Damage – Barcodes can become defaced, resulting in errors while scanning and processing.
3. Technical Malfunctions – Barcode scanners can sometimes malfunction, causing business operations to halt temporarily.
VIII. Process of Bar Code Registration in India
1. Application Submission – Submit the barcode registration application form online/offline, with all the necessary documents.
2. Verification – The officials will verify the application, documents and send an approval mail to the applicant.
3. Barcode Allocation – After approval, the Barcode number will be allocated to the product(s).
4. Label Sticker Printing – The manufacturer needs to print labels containing the barcode number and attach them to the products.
IX. Types of Bar Code Registration in India
1. GS1 India Barcode – This barcode is issued by GS1 India and is widely accepted for international trade.
2. India Barcode – This barcode is issued by the Indian Government and is for domestic use only.
X. Frequently Asked Questions about Bar Code Registration in India:
Q1. What is the cost of Barcode registration in India?
Ans. The cost of Barcode registration in India varies based on the type of Barcode issued and the product.
Q2. Is it mandatory for small business owners to register for Barcodes?
Ans. It is not mandatory to register for Barcodes, but it’s highly recommended for small business owners to ensure they meet product quality standards.
Q3. How long does it take to obtain a Barcode registration certificate?
Ans. It takes about 7-10 business days to get a Barcode Registration certificate.
Q4. Can an individual apply for Barcode registration in India?
Ans. No, Barcode registration can only be done by businesses or manufacturers.
Q5. Is it compulsory to register for a Barcode in India?
Ans. It is not compulsory, but it is recommended for businesses that need to sell their products through organized retail chains and supermarkets.