Frequently Asked Questions about FSSAI License in India
1. What is FSSAI?
The Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) is a regulatory body that ensures the safety and quality of food products in India. It is responsible for implementing and enforcing various food safety regulations and standards.
2. Who needs an FSSAI License?
Any business involved in the manufacturing, processing, packaging, storage, distribution, or import/export of food products needs to obtain an FSSAI License. This includes food manufacturers, food processors, restaurants, hotels, food caterers, food retailers, and others.
3. What are the different types of FSSAI License?
The FSSAI offers three types of licenses, depending on the scale of operation and nature of the business:
– FSSAI Registration: For businesses with an annual turnover of up to Rs. 12 lakhs.
– State FSSAI License: For businesses with an annual turnover between Rs. 12 lakhs and Rs. 20 crores.
– Central FSSAI License: For businesses with an annual turnover exceeding Rs. 20 crores.
4. How to apply for an FSSAI License?
To apply for an FSSAI License, businesses need to fill out the application form online, provide the necessary documents, and pay the required fees. The application can be made through the FSSAI’s online portal or by hiring a professional consultant to assist with the process.
5. What documents are required for an FSSAI License?
The documents required for an FSSAI License application vary depending on the type of license and the nature of the business. Some common documents include identity proof, address proof, proof of ownership/lease of the premises, food safety management system plan, and a list of food products to be manufactured or handled.
6. What are the benefits of obtaining an FSSAI License?
Having an FSSAI License provides various benefits, such as:
– Assurance of food safety and quality compliance.
– Enhancing consumer trust and confidence in the brand.
– Access to a wider market and potential for export.
– Compliance with legal requirements and avoiding penalties.
7. What happens if a business operates without an FSSAI License?
Operating a food business without a valid FSSAI License is a violation of the law and can lead to penalties, fines, and even imprisonment. The authorities have the power to suspend or cancel the license of such businesses.