As the world moves towards digitization, the Indian Government has taken a step forward to digitalize its procurement processes. The Government e-Marketplace, commonly known as GEM, is an online platform that focuses on public procurement and aims to provide ease of purchasing and selling goods and services for various government departments. It aims to enhance transparency, efficiency, and speed in public procurement. GEM Registration is mandatory for all buyers and government sellers or government departments and ministries to source goods and services from the government’s e-marketplace. So, let’s dive deeper into understanding the benefits, documents required, and procedure for GEM Registration in India.
A. Definition of GEM Registration
GEM Registration refers to the necessary process of getting registered on the Government e-Marketplace. GEM is an online platform introduced by the Commerce and Industry Minister on 9th August 2016, under the Allocation of Business Rules 1961. The platform serves as an online marketplace for public procurement by central and state government organizations. For government departments and ministries, sourcing goods and services from GEM is mandatory. GEM Registration is also mandatory for all buyers and sellers who wish to use this platform. There are two types of registrations, one for buyers and the other for sellers.
The objective behind GEM is to guarantee effectiveness, transparency, and swiftness in procuring supplies of goods and services. GEM is a completely paperless, cashless, and technology-driven e-marketplace that enables procurement of common use of goods and services with minimal human intervention. It aims to support Make in India and has various facilities, including a continuous vendor rating system, a user-friendly dashboard, and a one-stop-shop for marketing and bidding. The GEM Registration process involves creating an account on the GEM Portal, filling up the correct information, uploading required documents, submitting the application form, approval from the appropriate department, and completion of the registration process.
C. Types of GEM Registrations
When it comes to registering on the GEM portal, there are two types of registrations that businesses can opt for. These registrations are classified as Primary Registration and Secondary Registration. Here’s a closer look at each:
1. Primary Registration: This registration is primarily meant for buyers who are either government departments or ministries. They can use the GEM portal to obtain supplies of goods and services required by them. The key tasks of a primary user include the creation or modification of secondary users, the administration of GEM procurements, and the transfer of primary user accounts in case of any changes.
2. Secondary Registration: This registration is meant for sellers and vendors who wish to sell their products or services on the GEM portal. They can create and manage their profile on the portal, list their products or services for sale, and participate in bids and reverse auctions. To be eligible for secondary registration, the authorized person needs to have an Aadhar number, mobile number, and registered email ID.
Overall, both registrations serve different purposes while ensuring transparency in the procurement process and effective utilization of the GEM platform.
II. Benefits of GEM Registration
A. Increased transparency and effectiveness
GEM Registration in India has become a valuable tool for both sellers and buyers in the procurement process. One of the major benefits of GEM registration is the increased transparency and effectiveness it provides. With GeM, all transactions are conducted online, and all information is updated in real-time, which ensures a higher level of transparency for all parties involved. Additionally, the platform allows for fair competition while bidding for goods and services, further adding to transparency. This results in increased efficiency, faster payment processing times, and better tracking of orders.
Furthermore, GEM Registration offers various facilities such as continuous vendor rating systems, user-friendly dashboards, and one-stop-shop for marketing and bidding. All of these features combined help in streamlining the entire procurement process. It is also worth noting that the platform helps MSMEs, startups, and other businesses reach a larger market base with their products and services.
Apart from this, the registration process is relatively easy, requiring sellers only to provide Aadhar and PAN numbers, filled income tax returns, and other necessary documents. Creating an account on the GEM portal, filling up the correct information, uploading the required documents, submitting the application form, getting approval from the appropriate department and completing the registration process is simple and straightforward. With these benefits, the GeM registration platform is transforming the way the government buys goods and services and opening new opportunities for businesses to thrive.
B. Availability of various facilities
One the major benefits of registering on the GEM portal is the availability of various facilities that make the procurement process easy and streamlined. Here are some of the facilities that one can avail after registering on the GEM portal:
1. Listing of products for individual categories of goods or services of common use
2. Market place buying majority of common user items
3. Look, estimate, compare, and buying facility on a dynamic pricing basis
4. Buying or selling goods and services online as per requirement
5. Single window system for increasing or aggregating demands and ordering
6. Useful for low-value buying as well as bulk buying at a competitive price using reverse auction or e-bidding.
7. User-friendly dashboard for monitoring supplies, payment, and buying or selling
8. Direct access to all departments of Government
9. One-stop-shop for marketing with minimal efforts
10. One-stop-shop for bids or a reverse auction on products or services
11. New product suggestions facility available for sellers
12. Dynamic pricing, i.e., price changes based on market conditions
13. Seller-friendly dashboard for monitoring supplies, selling, and payments.
These facilities ensure transparency, effectiveness, and ease in buying from the GEM portal. As a buyer or seller, one can navigate through the portal with ease and make transactions with minimal human interfac
C. Continuous vendor rating system
Continuous vendor rating system is an effective feature of GEM registration that ensures the quality and credibility of the vendors on the portal. The vendor’s performance is assessed on various parameters such as delivery time, product quality, adherence to specifications, customer feedback, and other relevant factors. The ratings are displayed on the vendor’s profile, enabling the buyers to make an informed decision when choosing a seller.
Moreover, vendors can improve their ratings by consistently delivering quality products and services, which can lead to more business opportunities. The rating system promotes healthy competition among the vendors, resulting in enhanced performance and better customer satisfaction. This feature is beneficial for both buyers and sellers and is aimed at creating a trusted and transparent marketplace.
With the continuous vendor rating system in place, buyers can expect top-notch services and products from verified and certified vendors. It also encourages vendors to maintain their quality standards and provide a hassle-free experience to their buyers. The system has been instrumental in establishing the credibility of the GEM marketplace and has seen positive results in terms of enhanced transparency and accountability.
D. User-friendly dashboard
The Government e-Marketplace (GeM) has many benefits for both sellers and buyers, one of which is its user-friendly dashboard. The dashboard is simple and easy to navigate, making it convenient for merchants to monitor their sales and analyze patterns. It provides extensive product listings for the different categories of goods and services, making buyers’ purchasing decisions clear and convenient. The dashboard ensures transparency and convenience of purchase, as it offers notifications sent directly to vendors and an intuitive interface for tracking supply and payments. Furthermore, GeM offers a sophisticated online grievance resolution mechanism that is accessible to all vendors and purchasers, making the process of resolving disputes quick and efficient. The dashboard also includes dynamic pricing, which relies on market circumstances and the demand-supply ratio. Undoubtedly, the user-friendly dashboard enhances the user experience for both sellers and buyers on the GeM portal.
E. One-stop-shop for marketing and bidding
One of the most significant benefits of GEM Registration in India is the one-stop-shop for marketing and bidding provided by the platform. The Government e-Marketplace (GEM) is an e-commerce portal under the Government of India that connects sellers and Government buyers, enabling the procurement of goods and services required by various departments or organizations of the Government and Public Sector Undertakings (PSUs). Here are some of the features that make GEM a one-stop-shop for marketing and bidding:
– Listing of products for individual categories of goods or services of common use.
– A market place for buying the majority of common user items.
– Look, estimate, compare and buying facility on a dynamic pricing basis.
– Buying or selling goods and services online as per requirement.
– A single window system for increasing or aggregating demands and ordering.
– Useful for low-value buying as well as bulk buying at a competitive price using reverse auction or e-bidding.
GEM Registration can be beneficial for businesses looking for marketing opportunities and seeking to expand their customer base by showcasing their products on a national level. The platform eliminates the need to invest in advertising and marketing, as businesses get direct access to all Government departments.
III. Pre-requisites for GEM Registration
A. Aadhar and PAN numbers
To a GEM Registration License, applicants must provide certain essential documents. These include Aadhaar and PAN numbers, filled income tax returns for the last three years, and a verified ITR. In case of registering a Private/Public Limited Company, it is mandatory to furnish the CIN. The user must also have an active email ID and a personal/Government email ID for transacting on the GEM portal. Additionally, the user must provide complete registered office address details, along with alternate email IDs and contact numbers for printing on GeM artifacts like contract orders and invoices. It is mandatory to enter this information for transacting on GeM. Lastly, the GSTIN number of the billing address is required, and in its absence, the user will not be able to accept any orders beyond INR 2.5 lakhs. The process of getting GEM Registration License can become straightforward with the help of a compliance consultancy firm.
B. Filled income tax returns
When it comes to registering on the Government e-Marketplace (GeM), one of the requirements that must be fulfilled is filling out income tax returns. This is a crucial step that has been put in place to ensure that only genuine and credible vendors register on the platform. The GeM is dedicated to providing transparency, efficiency, and promptness in the procurement of supplies by government organizations. Therefore, vendors who wish to register on the platform must submit their income tax returns for the last three years. This is mandatory for participating in bids/reverse auctions for all entities unless incorporated less than 24 months ago or exempted from filing ITR. Verified ITR details are crucial in validating the authenticity of vendors and the credibility of their businesses. It also promotes a level of trust and confidence in the vendors by the government buyers, which ultimately leads to more sales opportunities and a better return on investment for the vendors.
C. Other required documents
Apart Aadhar and PAN numbers, there are other required documents for GEM registration in India. These documents have to be submitted along with the application form for completing the registration process. The documents required for GEM registration are crucial as they authenticate the seller’s information and ensure transparency in the trade. Here are the other documents required for GEM registration, apart from Aadhar and PAN numbers:
– Income Tax Return (ITR) for the last three years.
– Company incorporation certificate or LLP incorporation certificate, as applicable.
– Bank details along with KYC documents.
It is essential to fill up the correct information and upload all the required documents while registering on the GEM portal. After submission, the application form is approved by the appropriate department, and the registration process is completed only after approval. Therefore, it is important to ensure that all the documents are in order and the information provided is accurate. With GEM registration, buyers and sellers can enjoy a paperless, cashless, and technology-driven e-market, offering significant benefits to small and medium-scale business owners.
IV. Procedure for GEM Registration
A. Creating an account on the GEM Portal
Creating an account on the GEM Portal is the primary step for sellers to participate in the public procurement process. Registering on the GeM Portal is mandatory for sellers who want to list their brands, products, and services, participate in bids, and accept orders. Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to create an account on the GEM Portal:
1. Account Creation: The first step of seller registration on the GeM Portal is account creation. Only an authorized person, such as the Director of the Organization or a Key Person/Proprietor, can initiate the registration process. Sellers can sign up on GeM through the Aadhaar or PAN Card of the Key Person of the organization.
2. Updating the Organization Profile: The next step is to update the Company Profile, which is divided into four main sections: PAN Validation, Company Details, Office Location, and Bank Account. Updates on these sections are mandatory. Still, there are three other optional sections, such as MSE, Startup, and Tax Assessment. After updating the profile, a caution money payment must be made according to the turnover.
3. Vendor Assessment on GeM: After making the caution money payment, sellers must apply to get the OEM certificate. Vendor Assessment for GeM is mandatory for sellers who want to participate in the public procurement of Q1 and Q2 categories of products. Manufacturers must become OEMs regardless of the category of products they want to sell on the GeM Portal.
4. Product Listing on Government e-Marketplace: After brand listing, the dealers, manufacturers, and service providers have to list their products & services on the GeM portal. The products and services of the sellers/vendors can go live on the GeM website after the GeM Authority approves the listing.
5. Bid Participation and Appointment of Resellers: After listing their products and services, sellers can participate in bids and accept orders on GeM. OEMs can appoint or authorize resellers to list their products and services after getting approval.
The completion of these steps is essential in creating an account on the GEM Portal. Once these steps are completed, sellers can enjoy the benefits of the GeM Portal, such as easy access to the national public procurement market, fully online and contactless platform, and seller-friendly dashboard for monitoring supplies and payments.
B. Filling up correct information and uploading required documents
To register on the GEM Portal and obtain a GEM Registration license, it is important to fill up accurate information and upload the required documents. This will ensure a smooth registration process and approval from the appropriate department. Among the necessary documents are income tax return for the last three years, Aadhar and PAN numbers, and other documents such as photographs and a list of products. One should ensure that the details entered in the application form match the information furnished in the income tax returns. Additionally, it is essential to provide complete registered office address details, alternate email ID, contact number, and billing address with GSTIN number, failing which orders beyond INR 2.5 lacs on GeM will not be accepted. Companies and firms are required to verify key person information in accordance with ITR records. Keeping all these factors in mind, one can successfully fill up the correct information and upload the required documents for GEM registration.
C. Submission of application form
Once you have filled up all the required information and uploaded the necessary documents, you are ready to move on to the next step of the GEM Registration process – submitting your application form. Here are the steps involved in submitting your application form:
1. Double-check all the information you have filled in the form for accuracy and completeness.
2. Once you are satisfied with the information you have provided, click on the submit button.
3. The concerned authority will verify the details you have provided in the application form.
4. It may take some time for the verification process to be completed, so please be patient.
5. If your application is approved, you will receive confirmation from the appropriate department.
6. Congratulations! You have completed the registration process.
It is important to remember that the GEM portal is a one-stop-shop for all your marketing and bidding needs, with increased transparency, effectiveness, and a continuous vendor rating system. To register, you will need your Aadhar and PAN numbers, as well as other required documents such as income tax returns. By following the registration process correctly, you can make the most of the various facilities that the GEM portal offers.
D. Approval from appropriate department
After submitting the application form, the next step is to await approval from the appropriate department. The processing time may differ depending on the submission date and the department handling the registration. GeM registration could also be rejected if the requested information or documents are incomplete or incorrect. Once approval is granted, the registration process is complete, and the applicant receives a GeM identification number (ID). This GeM ID is needed for all future transactions and dealings on the platform. It is advisable to keep all the submitted documents and information up to date, as failing to do so can lead to account suspension or rejection of bids. The GeM portal is straightforward to use and entirely paperless, but the applicant should ensure that all the necessary procedures are followed to avoid any issues. By obtaining a GeM registration, businesses can increase their exposure to government contracts and procurement opportunities.
E. Completion of the registration process
Once required documents are submitted and approved by the appropriate department, the final step towards completing the GEM registration process is to receive official confirmation of registration. After receiving approval, the GEM seller account will be activated, and sellers can start exploring opportunities available on the platform. Sellers can now list their products and services on the GeM portal and start taking advantage of the various benefits the platform offers. The dashboard provided within the GeM portal is user-friendly and allows sellers to monitor their supplies, payments, and sales. The platform offers a one-stop-shop for marketing and bidding, providing easy access to participate in bids and reverse auctions. With the continuous vendor rating system, buyers can keep track of their preferred sellers’ performance. The entire process is online, paperless, and contactless, ensuring transparency and efficiency in public procurement. Once the registration process is complete, sellers can take advantage of the National Public Procurement market, with special provisions and sections for startups and Emporium products.
V. Documents Required for GEM Registration in India
1. PAN Card of the authorized signatory
2. Aadhar Card of the authorized signatory
3. Digital Signature Certificate (DSC) of the authorized signatory
4. Bank account details where the company holds an account
5. Letter of authorization for signing the registration application
6. Passport size photograph of the authorized signatory
7. Business registration proof
8. Memorandum of Association (MOA) and Articles of Association (AOA) of the company
9. GST registration certificate
10. Details of authorized representative
VI. Advantages of GEM Registration in India
1. Access to new government contracts and tenders
2. Easy and transparent procurement process
3. Wider exposure to buyers and sellers
4. Easier access to relevant information and services
5. Cost-efficient and time-saving procurement process
VII. Disadvantages of GEM Registration in India
1. Strict eligibility criteria may limit participation of small businesses
2. Highly competitive environment may lead to a loss of business
3. Limited access to private sector contracts
4. Procurement cycle time may be longer
VIII. Process of Getting GEM Registration in India
1. Visit the official GEM website and click on the “Register” button.
2. Enter all the necessary details in the registration form and upload relevant documents.
3. Submit the application and wait for approval.
4. Once approved, log in to the GEM portal and start browsing tenders and contracts.
IX. Types of GEM Registration in India
1. Buyer Registration – for businesses looking to buy products/services through the GEM portal.
2. Seller Registration – for businesses looking to sell products/services through the GEM portal.
3. Service Provider Registration – for businesses providing services such as consultancy, logistics, etc.
X. Frequently Asked Questions about GEM Registration in India:
Q. What is GEM registration in India?
A. GEM registration is a process of registering on the Government e-Marketplace (GEM) portal for accessing government contracts and tenders.
Q. Who can register on the GEM portal in India?
A. Any business entity in India can register on the GEM portal, provided it meets the eligibility criteria specified by the authorities.
Q. Is GEM registration mandatory for businesses in India?
A. No, GEM registration is not mandatory for businesses in India, but it provides access to a wider range of government contracts and tenders.
Q. What are the benefits of GEM registration in India?
A. GEM registration provides access to new government contracts and tenders, and a easy and transparent procurement process, among other benefits.
Q. Is there any fee for GEM registration in India?
A. No, there is no fee for registering on the GEM portal in India.