FAQ – Frequently Asked Questions about FSSAI License in India
What is an FSSAI License?
The FSSAI (Food Safety and Standards Authority of India) license is a regulatory requirement for food business operators (FBOs) in India. It ensures the safety and quality of food products sold or manufactured in the country. This license is issued by the FSSAI, a statutory body under the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Government of India.
Why is an FSSAI License necessary?
An FSSAI License is necessary because it ensures that the food we consume is safe and meets quality standards. It helps in maintaining hygiene and prevents the consumption of substandard or adulterated food items. Obtaining an FSSAI License also enhances consumer confidence and trust in the food products and the FBOs.
Who requires an FSSAI License?
Any person or entity involved in the production, processing, packaging, storage, distribution, and sale of food products must obtain an FSSAI License. This includes restaurants, food caterers, manufacturers, processors, retailers, e-commerce food businesses, and even roadside food vendors.
What are the different types of FSSAI License?
There are three main types of FSSAI License:
1. Basic FSSAI License: This is required for FBOs with an annual turnover of up to INR 12 lakh.
2. State FSSAI License: This is required for FBOs with an annual turnover of more than INR 12 lakh but less than INR 20 crore.
3. Central FSSAI License: This is required for FBOs with an annual turnover of more than INR 20 crore.
How can one apply for an FSSAI License?
To apply for an FSSAI License, the applicant must visit the official website of the FSSAI and fill out the necessary application form. The required documents and fees must be submitted along with the application. The FSSAI will then verify and review the application before granting the license.
What are the documents required for an FSSAI License?
The documents required for an FSSAI License depend on the type of license being applied for. Generally, the following documents are required:
1. Identity proof of the applicant
2. Proof of address of the business premises
3. Ownership or lease/rent agreement of the business premises
4. Food safety management system plan
5. List of food products to be handled/processed
6. Details of the machinery and equipment used
7. Proof of turnover, if applicable.
What is the validity of an FSSAI License?
The validity of an FSSAI License varies depending on the type of license:
1. Basic FSSAI License: 1 to 5 years
2. State FSSAI License: 1 to 5 years
3. Central FSSAI License: 1 to 5 years
It is important to renew the license before it expires to ensure continuous compliance with the FSSAI regulations.
What are the penalties for non-compliance with the FSSAI regulations?
Non-compliance with the FSSAI regulations can lead to penalties and even the cancellation of the FSSAI License. The penalties vary depending on the severity of the violation and can include fines, imprisonment, or both. It is important for FBOs to adhere to the regulations and maintain the required standards of safety and quality.